Do I even really need to write up a post about these? Just look at them.
Over the holidays, I went through some major chocolate cravings. Like, deeply serious ones. I remembered that I had saved this recipe for the one guiltless baking extravaganza that would come at the proper time. Well, it seems that lately, I have had a lot of those “I need some freaking chocolate NOW” moments. And, so, I pulled out the big guns with this recipe.
Now, I will draw your attention to one simple fact about this recipe: yes, 3 sticks of butter. There, I got it out there. So, before I get some comments about how horrible I am for posting these during New Year’s resolutions, let me explain that these brownies are the best brownies that I have ever had in my life (so, for me, SO worth the extra exercise). They are plain jane-no nuts, no frosting, no special add-ins. Because? Because they don’t need any brownie “flair”. They are, simply, understated and incredible at the same time. LOVE. THEM. Deeply rich and velvety with a light dusting of powdered sugar, tiny bits of bittersweet chocolate mixed in the batter, and a cold glass of milk on the side. Are you in? Because if you can agree that everything is allowable in moderation, then I promise you that you will satisfy any chocolate craving with these amazing kings of the brownie world. (especially if served warm over some vanilla ice cream……)
Ad Hoc Brownies
Servings: 12 brownies
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened alkalized cocoa powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 pound (3 sticks, yes, I know…..) unsalted butter, cut into 1-tablespoon pieces
3 large eggs
1 and 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste or pure vanilla extract
6 ounces 61-64% chocolate (I used Ghiradelli brand bittersweet chocolate chips), chopped into chip-sized pieces (about 1 and 1/2 cups)
Powdered sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Butter and flour a 9-inch square metal or glass baking pan.
3. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt; set aside.
4. Melt half of the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
5. Put the remaining butter in a medium bowl, and pour the melted butter over the top of it. (This will bring the butter to room temperature.)
6. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, mix together the eggs and sugar on medium speed for about 3 minutes, or until thick and very pale.
7. Mix in the vanilla.
8. On low speed, add about one-third of the dry ingredients, then add one-third of the butter, and continue alternating the remaining flour and butter.
9. Add the chocolate and mix to combine.
10. Spread the batter evenly in the pan, and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a cake tester or wooden skewer poked into the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs sticking to it.
11. Cool in the pan until the brownie is just a bit warmer than room temperature.
12. Run a knife around the edges and invert the brownie onto a cutting board. Cut into 12 rectangles.
13. Dust the tops with powdered sugar just before serving.
Source: Ad Hoc at Home by Thomas Keller
And, I would like to sincerely thank Amalia, from ButterSweetMelody, for giving me the Stylish Blogger Award! I am so thankful to have been included in her list of favorite blogs.
Part of this award allows me to recognize MY 15 favorite foodie blogs and spread the blogging love more! I have met so many incredible people through this ever-growing part of the internet, and I would just like to send some love to the people who I know are regular readers of The Curvy Carrot and/or who have blogs that I completely admire (and haven’t already been given this award-a lot of you out there have!). In no particular order, I give the Stylish Blogger Award to the following blogs:
Annie (of course) at Annie’s Eats
Jenny at Strung By Color (check out her crafts and Foodie Fridays!)
Natalie at TheSweetsLife
Kim at Liv Life
Josie at Pink Parsley
Ali at gimmesomeoven
Leslie at LeslieSarna
Carolyn at All Day I Dream About Food
Georgia at The Comfort of Cooking
Courtney at Cook Like A Champion
Jacob at Jacob’s Kitchen
Lauren at Foodie House
Patty and Crispin at Baking is Hot
Rachel at MuffinEgg
Aku at The Cloud and the Kitchen
I am apparently supposed to tell you 7 things about myself (that’s me in the middle, flanked on my right by my little sister, Sammy, and her boyfriend, Andy):
1. I am left-handed. Does that make me right-brained? I don’t know.
2. My mom actually spelled my name “wrong” on the birth certificate-hence only one ‘n’ in Shanon.
3. I am moving to New England in 6 months, found an apartment online, and successfully signed a lease 2 weeks ago-so excited!
4. I have a black cat named Jinx.
5. I can wiggle my ears.
6. My favorite movie is the 1986 Jim Henson classic, The Labyrinth. Yes, I actually just published that.
7. I have technically been in training/school for 27 years now. Next year is my last year before I get my real grown-up job. HECK YEAH!